WRFL STATEMENT – JUNIOR FINALS
In view of yesterday’s extension to the current Melbourne lockdown, and in consultation with all WRFL clubs, the WRFL has made the following determinations regarding its junior season:
- The junior home & away season will be extended by two weeks (Sun 1/8 and Sun 8/8), reinstating games lost from Rounds 8 & 9 during the previous Melbourne lockdown.
- The WRFL’s intent is to run a two-week junior finals series commencing Sunday 15/8 and concluding the following Sunday 22/8. The first Sunday (15/8) would see all knock-out finals (1v4/2v3), with the respective grand finals for each applicable junior competition played the following Sunday.
While there were many considerations to this decision, ultimately the key benefit is the reinstatement of 190 junior home & away matches that were previously lost, part of a broader effort to maximise the number of opportunities for kids to play. The move also provides greater flexibility in the event of further/extended lockdowns.
In a League survey to WRFL clubs earlier this week, over 90% of respondents were in favour of this change.
The extension of the home & away season applies to:
- Under 8s (though no finals component)
- Under 9s (though no finals component)
- Under 10s (though no finals component)
- Under 12s
- Under 14s
- Under 16s
- Under 18s girls
We continue to monitor the restrictions closely and hope to see our juniors back on the field on Sunday 1/8.
Junior fixtures will be updated accordingly over the next two days.