Posted on Tuesday 30th August, 2022



Caroline Springs’ two Senior Women’s teams have booked their spots in Saturday’s Victoria University Polytechnic Grand Finals.

Division 1 teams Caroline Springs and Werribee Centrals met Sunday morning, in what was a one-sided affair, the Lakers belatedly booked their spot in the final game of the season after falling to Spotswood in the Semi-Final the previous week.

Caroline Springs was strong from the start, imposing themselves on the game despite the defensive pressure of the Centurions.

By half-time, the Lakers had established a 40-point lead, and had kept their opposition goalless.

In the second half of the game, Werribee Centrals found the scoreboard through Leading Goal Kicker Larissa Renaut and teammate Sarah Patten, but it was no match to the onslaught of majors from their opposition.

Caroline Springs launched an all-out attack on their scoring end with 11 individual goal-kickers, led by the golden boot of captain Caitlin Pretty, who kicked 5 goals and was named best-on.

By the final siren the Lakers had comprehensively sealed the win, winning by 119-points.

In Division 2, West Footscray hosted Caroline Springs side, in a hotly contested game of footy that went right down to the wire, with the Lakers holding on to win by four-points.

There were plenty of scoring shots at either end of the ground, with Caroline Springs converting 3 goals 2 to West Footscray’s 1 goal 7 in the first half.

Just when it looked like the Lakers had broken away following the third term, slotting two definitive goals courtesy of Jasmine Kincaid and Keira Whiley, Roosters full forward Tania Anthony kicked a spectacular banana from the boundary, inspiring her side to lift.

The remainder of term saw West Footscray surge forward via the rebounding efforts of winger Layla Dawkins, making repeated inside 50 entries.

Lakers defenders Reggee Auld and Michelle Murphy worked hard under the immense pressure, forcing their opposition’s shots wide.

Despite their fourth quarter fight back, the Roosters ran out of time, with Caroline Springs booking their place in Saturday’s decider.